In honor of her 2012 New York Times Book Review Notable Book of the Year selection—and in anticipation of the just-released paperback edition of Nowhere Is a Place, our Bernice L. McFadden Digit features excerpts from all four of her Akashic titles: Gathering of Waters, The Warmest December, Glorious, and Nowhere Is a Place.
Featured: Black Interest
So Much Things to Say: 100 Poets from the First Ten Years of the Calabash International Literary Festival
Robert Pinsky and Derek Walcott anchor this groundbreaking, soulful poetry collection.
A deeply engaging debut novel about a morality clash in an insular Chicago neighborhood.
Tim Hennessy and contributor Vida Cross present Milwaukee Noir in conversation with Erica Neubauer (local author, designer, and contributor to the Los Angeles Review of Books).
Michael Zadoorian presents Beautiful Music at the Adrian District Library.
News & Features
Congratulations to Jaime Manrique on winning the Bill Whitehead Award for Lifetime Achievement!
- “Norman” by JZ Sims
- “Patched Up” by Beth Anderson
- “It’s OK, When You Have Two, They Play Together!” by Simon Pinkerton
- “The Rap Song” by Alice Shi Kembel
In the immediate wake of the breaking news about the widespread college admissions scandal, aka Operation Varsity Blues, Akashic Books/Black Sheep author C.J. Farley appeared on New York’s local Fox 5 News to discuss the parallels between Operation Varsity Blues and Farley’s new young adult novel Around Harvard Square. Reporter Mike Sacks noted: “In his […]
- TIGERBELLE featured for Black History Month
- Bernice L. McFadden is Go On Girl! Book Club’s 2018 Author of the Year
- Bobby Sullivan’s Introduction to Revolutionary Threads
- DEATH OF A RAINMAKER is a Best Book of 2018!